Sunday, June 29, 2008

Flying Squirrels!

I am so excited! I have been waiting for the perfect time to unveil our Flying Squirrel Penthouse in the Sky in our Etsy store and tomorrow is going to be the big release date. Here's a picture of it looks like when it is all closed up. As you can tell from the picture it is HUGE! Standing a whomping 42" tall it will be a true penthouse in the sky for a whole colony of lucky flying squirrels. Being a true penthouse, it has has four separate floors and two entry holes. It doesn't come with a hot tub or a Jacuzzi, but I guess the squirrels could have those installed at a later time.

You probably remember me blogging about the colony of flying squirrels that live in our big old pine tree. They are my all time favorite animals out in my yard. I came up with the idea of the of our Flying Squirrel Penthouse in the Sky when I started to wonder where our flying squirrels would live if something happened to our old pine tree. I did a little research and found a lot of really interesting facts about flying squirrels. Did you know that flying squirrels only nest in large old growth trees? They are also the most social of all the squirrels. They do not hibernate during the cold winter months, but instead will nest together in large colonies to keep warm. Northern flying squirrels will form a colony of about ten individuals. Southern flying squirrels will form nesting colonies of 15-20 individuals. A record 50 southern flying squirrel were found in one colony alone! That sure is a lot of squirrels! Since the flying squirrels will nest in such large colonies during the winter, I thought it would be awesome if they had a big beautiful house where they all could safely live together. Make sure you check it out in our Etsy shop to get a good look at the inside of the house.

I'll be barking to you later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool! I wish we had some flying squirrels nearby so I could get them a penthouse!! But I've never even seen one....