Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bat Houses!

I am so excited! Yesterday, I listed Merlin's Bark Products first bat house in our Etsy shop. As you can tell, I am pretty excited that we finally are able to offer bat houses to our customers. We had so many people inquire about our line of bat houses during Rachel's Sustainable Feast that I knew it I had to make bat houses a top priority for us.

Did you know that a single brown bat can catch and eat hundreds of bugs in just one hour? Not only do bats like to munch on mosquitoes, but they also like to eat bugs that can damage crops. I guess that you could say that bats are Mother Nature's little pest control experts! Did you also know that bat houses need to be built specifically for the areas they are suppose to be installed in? Bat house built for the northeast shouldn't be used in the south and vice-versa. There is quite a science behind bat house building. Not only that, but there also is a science behind installing bat houses too. Bat houses should face in a south/southeastern direction where they can absorb most of the morning sunlight. They should also be installed at least 15-20 feet above ground (the higher, the better) in a place where they will get at least 6 hours of direct sunlight a day. And because bat houses need so much sunlight, they should be installed in an open area. Who knew that bats were so picky!

Speaking of being picky, I need to go check on some other products that we are working on and make sure that they measure up to my "nose seal" of approval. I'll be barking to you later!

2 comments:

Hippie Dippy Designs said...

Those are pretty neat. My partner and I were just talking about getting some bat houses for our yard. I will have to check them out.

Squirrel said...

Very cool! They look like very nice bat houses. I never understood why people are afraid of those cute furry flying critters!