Thursday, July 17, 2008

Interview with Pigatopia Studio's!

Since I have become the CEO of Merlin's Bark Products I've had to pleasure of meeting a lot of other corporate types. Through my work with Etsy for Animals and AWBAR, I've gotten to know other CEO animals and the people who love them. I thought it would be a great idea if I started showcasing some of these other entrepreneurial animals and help spread the word about their products and what they do.

For my first interview, I chose Pigatopia Studio's since they have such an interesting shop and story. Their Etsy shop is full of a large variety of handcrafted items that range from soaps and clay polymer to airbrushed t-shirts and watercolors and oil paintings. Pigatopia is also a fellow member of EFA and even operates their very own animal sanctuary. Here's their story:



So Pig, tell me a little bit about yourself and your Etsy store Pigatopia Studio's.

I make artwork to help rescued animals ranging from Pot Bellied Pigs to cat and dogs even chickens. I have 13 pigs, 8 dogs, and one cat - all of which are rescues. Some their families no longer wanted, a couple were abandon after years of abuse, and others had no choice but to find another home due to health issues. The money generated from the sales of my items pay vet bills, shelter and food for those animals that have been abused and rescued. I have made crafts and art as far back as I can remember. Over the years I have been told that I am an artist. I decided to use that talent to help those who cannot help themselves. I work in gardening and I use my art to relieve the stresses of everyday life. I got started on Etsy when a friend told me about it. I have not looked back since.



I love your custom oil Pigtures of pets and animals. I think I need to get one of me to put up in our corporate headquarters. How do you create your Pigtures? How long do they usually take you to do?

I take pictures or ideas people have in their heads and I make them into portraits on just about anything you can think of: watercolor, wood burn, etched and/or painted glass. The list is endless. I draw them freehand and it usually takes me from a couple days to a week to complete the art. The more art I do the better I get.



Rumor has it that you are a multi-talented Pig and that you are actually writing your own book. I'm thinking about writing my own book about being a CEO and how to run a company. What is your book going to be about?

Thank you for asking. I am almost finished with my book. The book is about Henry a pot bellied pig who starts life off in a very bad place. He gets rescued and gets to spend the rest of his life in a wonderful place (an animal rescue). Henry gets to meet many wonderful pigs and humans and learns some great life lessons about love and friendship. The book allows you to see things from the animal's point of view. The stories used in my book about the animals lives are true stores taken from rescued pigs. I am in final edit as we speak and hope to have the book in print in a couple weeks or so.



I hear that you live with a bunch of other animals. I live in a one dog house, what is that like living with a pack of other animals? Do you guys have to share all of your toys and food?

It can be a handful at times with so many animals running around. Thank goodness I have a big house. The cat who weighs 9 lbs soaking wet runs the house. All eight dogs and seven of the pigs sleep inside. They each have there own blanket piles (there are about 10 blankets in each pile). Some of the pigs will sleep together, but they still argue over who's butt is in who's face from time to time. We do go through a lot of dog toys, but the food bill is not that bad - $60.00 a week on average.



Thanks for being my first interview Pig. I really enjoyed talking to you. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes, I love your blog and your store. Really awesome and thank you for allowing me to be your first interview.

2 comments:

Dogonwear said...

What A Great interview!!!
It is nice to learn so much about you shannon... I knew you were crazy from day 1 !!!!!!!!!!!

and Merlin.... I think you needs a microphone..... or possibly a web cam for you to sit in on chat time with me once and awhile!

hey piga talk her into it for me!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute interview!